I am a very slow writer during the drafting process. According to the notes that I have kept, I write at less than 500 words per hour. That means that this first draft is over 100 hours of just writing time. That does not count planning or thinking time.
How do I know this? I track my writing time and my word count increases during that time. I'm trying to notice patterns in when I am more productive. Here is my log from September through this weekend.
- I mostly only write on the weekends. But, I could tell you this without tracking my time!
- Sometimes I am very bad and miss almost a month of writing.
- Word count per hour is slightly higher if I've written within the past few days
- If I write every day, the count per hour does go down after a few days (I think because I've not spent as much thinking time in between)
- Some scenes are just easier to write.
- Dialog is fastest for me.
Do any of you track your writing time? Do you notice any patterns? About how many words per hour can you add to your WIP?